By Katarzyna Karska
With our Promotion Feature, Precursive app will calculate up-to-date project and resource costs for promoted employees.
In Precursive, each user is assigned to a single resource object where various user data is stored. Thanks to the Promotion Feature, Historical Daily/Hourly Cost and current Daily/Hourly Cost of a promoted participant will be taken into account when calculating actual project costs.
How to configure the Daily/Hourly Cost and Historical Daily/Hourly Cost to start using the Promotion Feature in budget calculations
1) In order to edit or update the resource costs, go to All Tabs and open the Resources tab. You will see the list of resources.
If you cannot find the Resources tab on the list, follow this article to add the tab: link
2) You can adjust Fields (categories) shown on the list by editing the layout.
To edit the layout:
- 2a) choose the Fields to Display from the list,
- 2b) click on the Add button,
- 2c) remember to Save changes.
3) To edit resource's data, select the resource from the list by clicking on the ID in the Name column.
4) Check if Historical Daily Cost, Historical Hourly Cost, Historical Note and Historical Date fields are available in the Promotions section of the Resource Detail page.
- If yes, click on Edit and go to step 7.
- If no, you can easily add them by clicking on the Edit Layout button (4a).
5) To add Historical Daily Cost, Historical Hourly Cost, Historical Note and Historical Date fields, choose the Fields section from the list on the left of the page.
- 5a) Drag 'Historical ...' fields and drop on the desired place in the layout down below. You can add all necessary fields at once by holding the Ctrl key during selection.
- 5b) Click on Save. The Resource Detail page will load again with the added fields.
6) Click on Edit the resource.
- 7a) Copy the Daily Cost and Hourly Cost values to Historical Daily Cost and Historical Hourly Cost fields
- 7b) Enter the Historical Date - the last date for which the app will use Historical Daily/Hourly Cost values into budget calculations.
- 7c) Optionally, add a note in the Historical Note field.
- 7d) Enter new values for Hourly and Daily Cost - they will be included in the budget calculations from the next day after the Historical Date.
- 7e) Save your changes.
8) In case of the second promotion, follow these steps:
- 8a) Copy the Daily Cost and Hourly Cost values to Historical Daily Cost 2 and Historical Hourly Cost 2 fields
- 8b) Enter the Historical Date 2 - the last date for which the app will use Historical Daily/Hourly Cost 2 values into budget calculations.
- 8c) Enter new values for Hourly and Daily Cost - they will be included in the budget calculations from the next day after the Historical Date 2.
Please note: Currently, Historical Daily/Hourly Cost can be changed four times as there are four available sets of Promotion fields in our app.
How to use the Promotion Feature in budget calculations
Precursive will include participant's promotion in the budget of the project only if Historical Daily/Hourly Cost and current Daily/Hourly Cost values have been set on the resource (described in the previous section of this article).
1) If you want to use the Promotion Feature, it is important not to change the Cost per Hour/Day value while creating New Booking - it must be taken from the Resource Detail page. Otherwise, the cost calculations of the project will include only newly entered Cost per Hour/Day. When the Daily/Hourly Cost values are available on the resource, there will be a 'value from Resource' note in the Cost per Hour/Day field.
1a) When the Historical Daily/Hourly Cost values are available on the resource, there will be a comment displayed in the New Booking window.
If you have already created a booking and changed manually the Cost per Hour/Day value, delete the Cost per Hour/Day entry, then save the booking and the project. In this way, project budget calculations will include both: historical and current costs.
2) If everything is set correctly, the app calculates the participant's cost as follows:
Number of working hours/days from the Start Date of the booking untill the Historical Date (including it) x Historical Cost per Hour/Day + Number of working hours/days from the day after the Historical Date untill the End Date of the booking x Hourly/Daily Cost
1) Resource cost fields are filled in as shown on the screenshot below:
- Historical Daily Cost = 600
- Historical Date = 24/03/2017
- Daily Cost starting from 25/03/2017 = 800
2) A booking has been made for this resource from 20/03/2017 to 03/04/2017.
- Cost per Day is taken from the resource = 800 (current Daily Cost) and has not been changed manually in the booking window.
- The comment displayed in the window informs about the promotion of the resource and the Historical Daily/Hourly Cost values available on the resource.
3) This Participant's total cost calculation:
20/03/2017 - 24/03/2017 → 5 days x 600 = 3000
25/03/2017 - 03/04/2017 → 6 days x 800 = 4800
Total cost = 7800