Fields on projects and phases such as Project Name, Start and End Date, Time Increment or Budget by are default fields of our application. If you need to have some additional information on your projects or phases, you can add custom fields.
There are few types of fields that can be added:
- Lookup link
- Text area
How to add a new custom field to Projects or Phases?
1) First of all, go to Setup → Create → Objects and select the Project object on the list of Custom Objects.
2) Check if the field you want to add to the project or phase layout already exist on the list of Custom Fields and Relationships as some fields can be added already created, like: Type, Subtype, Account, Project Code. If the field you want to add is one of them, go to point 8 of this article and add those fields with following paths:
Type -> Code__r.Type__c
Subtype -> Code__r.subtype__c
Account -> pve__Account__c
Project Code -> pve__projectCode__c
3) If the field you want to add doesn't exist on the list of Custom Fields and Relationships, then you need to create it on the Project object (both custom fields on projects and phases are placed on the Project object). To create a new field, click the New button in the Custom Fields and Relationships section.
4) Select the Field Type and click Next.
5) Define the field details. Each Field Type will have other details to be defined. The required fields will be marked with a red frame. Click Next.
6) Set the Field-Level Security - select the profiles which should have access to the new field. Then click Next.
7) Add the field to the layout and click Save or Save & New. Copy the API Name of the new field from the Custom Fields and Relationships section.
8) Now when your field is created on the Project object, you can add it to the Precursive interface. Open the Custom Properties tab on the Admin page.
9) Select Project or Phase from the drop-down on the left side of the page, depending on where the new field should be displayed on the Project Detail page.
10) Click Add to add the new custom field to the Project interface.
11) Fill in the details:
Name - Enter the label that should be displayed for this field on the interface.
Type - Select the field-type of the field. If this is an Attachment field - here select the Attachment type.
Path - paste the API name of the field you have created on the Project object. You can find it on the list of Custom Fields & Relationships in the API name column.
Order - select in what order the field should be displayed.
Required - tick the checkbox to make it required for the users.
Visible - tick the checkbox to make the field visible as a column on the Project page.
Filterable First Letter - this checkbox is not applicable on the Project object.
Then click Add.
12) As your new custom field is added, its properties can be edited directly from the Custom Properties tab. As you tick one of the fields: Required or Visible, this will switch on or off those properties.
12a) You can also open the Edit Custom Property window by using the pencil icon or remove the custom field from the interface by using the bin icon.
12b) To change the order of the fields, use the arrows on the left hand side of the Order column.