What does it do?
Predefining and making some filters available to all users makes it easier for everyone to find what they need. Your public filters could include individual teams, groups of projects, users with a particular tag/skill, etc. Your system admin can implement public filters in a few easy steps.
Implement a public filter:
- Go to Setup → Tabs and create a tab for the Custom Object 'Custom Filter'. Don't assign it to any apps, make it visible only for System Administrators and don't overwrite users personal settings.
- Add the tab to your Navigation Bar
- Open the Custom Filter tab and click on the gear icon at the top of the page, then select Edit Object. In the Object Manager set up the page layout so that includes the following fields:
- Is Public
- Go back to the Custom Filter tab and edit the All list view so that it contains the same fields as the layout.
- Search for the filters that need to be changed to public.
- To make the filter public (available to everyone) tick the Is Public checkbox.
- Delete the 'Custom Filter' tab in the Setup as it should not be available for users.
If what you need is not available in your current list of Public filters, you can easily create a private filter just for yourself.